Omaha Theater Company
Job Title: Artistic Associate – Director of Outbound Programs
Supervisor: Artistic Director
Classification: ____X__ Exempt ___X___ Full-time
_______ Non-Exempt _______ Part-time
Primary staff person responsible for managing Daniel Beaty’s residency activities at The Rose, including the organization and artistic execution of a youth production about the impact of gang violence on Omaha. On a secondary basis, assume major artistic duties in creating outbound theater opportunities that are responsive to community need and generate audience engagement activity.
Essential Job Duties
On a primary basis:
- Support Daniel Beaty’s residency at The Rose as a primary job duty, with a particular focus on a transformative project examining the impact of gangs on the Omaha community:
- Establish community partnerships that generate a trusting relationship between the desired project participants and The Rose.
- Develop and execute a project design process that supports Daniel Beaty and The Rose’s goals.
- Recruit participants and lead rehearsals.
- Work with the Marketing Director and Education Director to execute audience development strategies in support of Daniel’s residency
- Working under the Artistic Director, produce a performance that generates community-dialogue and is of high artistic merit and educational value to participants and audiences alike.
- Support Daniel Beaty’s workshops and residencies with The Rose staff and with outside organizations, including leading sessions and acting as a staff liaison.
On a secondary basis:
- Identify, plan, and execute major long-term as well as reactive artistic initiatives that respond to social need in the Omaha community.
- Work with the Artistic Director and Education Director, to establish partnerships with other urban arts, human service, educational, and social organizations whose constituencies would benefit from theatrical experiences.
- Direct main stage productions as assigned.
- Rehearse and perform as needed in main stage productions.
- Manage planning and execution of audience engagement activities.
- Supervise interns, volunteers and part-time staff as necessary.
- Operate within the approved annual budget under the supervision of the Artistic Director.
- Create lesson plans, and teach classes, workshops and residencies as needed.
- Direct Youth Theater and Teen Theater shows as assigned.
- Assist in the generation of grant proposals for education, main stage and audience engagement programming.
- Assist in the selection and development of main stage and any second stage productions associated with the professional season.
Other Job Duties
- Attend all necessary production meetings, including sceno, production, department heads, and all-staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Artistic Director.
Education, Training and Experience
- BFA, MA or MFA in Applied Theater, Directing, or Theatre for Youth, or equivalent professional experience.
- Theater training in acting and directing, devised theater, or applied theater.
- A history of producing community-engaged or activated theater
- Teaching experience with wide range of ages, cultures, ethnicity and backgrounds.
- Problem solving and customer service skills.
- Strong communications skills and the ability to work with a wide variety of people.
- Time management and organizational skills to prioritize tasks and assignments.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to meet all deadlines under pressure situations.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with employees at all levels within the organization.
- Act as a representative of The Theater at all times, providing excellent customer service to members, patrons, vendors and staff.
- Maintain current certification in CPR/1st Aid.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Ability to stand or kneel for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift at least 25lbs.
- Ability to carry and manage large and oversize set pieces.
About Daniel Beaty
During the 2014-2015 season, renowned actor/writer/director/activist Daniel Beaty begins a civic engagement and artistic residency in Omaha that will see him guide collaboration between human service and arts organizations to create transformative experiences for at-risk youth. Program components include workshops, a youth performance about the impact of gang violence, as well as a performance by Daniel Beaty.
Beaty is an award-winning actor, singer, writer and motivational speaker. His critically acclaimed plays Through the Night, Emergency, Mr. Joy and The Tallest Tree in the Forest have been performed at venues ranging from Lincoln Center to the White House,
and have garnered numerous awards including an Obie Award for writing and performance, and two NAACP Theatre Awards. A highly requested keynote speaker and thought leader, Beaty has worked throughout the U.S., Europe and Africa, speaking and
performing on programs with luminaries such as Bill Cosby, Deepak Chopra, Hill Harper, Jill Scott, Donnie McClurkin and Ruby Dee. An adjunct professor at Columbia University, diversity trainer and youth development specialist, Beaty has spoken at staff retreats and led leadership training for a myriad of non-profits and corporations. In fall
2013, Beaty launched a nationwide initiative, funded by W.K. Kellogg and Ford Foundations, among others, to use the tools of storytelling to help individuals and communities heal from trauma. He holds a B.A. with Honors in English and Music from
Yale University and an MFA in Acting from the American Conservatory Theater. His poem “Knock Knock” became an Internet sensation receiving millions of views and has
been transformed into a children’s book, also titled Knock Knock, published by Little Brown Books. Penguin-Random House published his empowerment book Transforming Pain to Power this past March.
About The Rose
Omaha Theater Company (The Rose) is one of the country’s largest professional theaters for young audiences. Serving more than 150,000 people annually, The Rose’s radical dedication to accessibility is embodied in its Every Single Child Program. This program is designed to allow every elementary and middle school student in Omaha the opportunity to take part in at least one meaningful theatrical experience each year, whether it be a school field trip show, touring show, or workshop. Coupling professional mainstage shows, exciting teen productions, creative drama, and technique based instruction, The Rose is proud to enrich young people’s lives using theatre.