One of the best ways to enjoy a play is to talk about the story and the characters with family and friends who saw the show. Here are some topics you can discuss before and after you see visit The Rose Theater to see the production.
Before the Show
- Elephant & Piggie’s We are in a Play is about two best friends, Gerald the Elephant and Piggie the Pig. What are some qualities of a good friend? What are some of your favorite things to do with your Best Friends?
- During the play, it takes Gerald and Piggie quite a while to figure out that they are on a stage in a theater! What are some things you might expect to see on stage at a theater?
- In addition to his “Elephant & Piggie” books, Mo Willems has written and illustrated many short stories for young readers with very memorable characters like Knuffle Bunny and The Pigeon. Have you read any Mo Willems books? Do you like to read them by yourself? What are your favorites?
After the Show
- “Gerald is careful. Piggie is not. Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can. Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.” How do you think two characters who are so different can be best friends? Do you have any friends who are very different than you?
- Gerald is a bit of a worrier. He is sometimes nervous that things might not go as well as he had hoped. What are some things that make you worry? What do you do when you are feeling worried about something you can’t control?
- During the play, Gerald accidentally breaks Piggie’s new toy. Later they find out the toy is supposed to break apart and be put back together. But they end up angry with each other because of the toy. Have you and a friend ever been angry with one another? What happened? Did you work it out in the end?
- Are you more like Gerald the Elephant or more like Piggie? Which Squirrelle are you most like? Which characters are the other members of your family most like?